[Runequest] melee round regulation question

royce at efn.org royce at efn.org
Tue Nov 29 14:50:47 EST 2011

Hi, All,
   A question about how to regulate action in a melee round.  But first an
explanation:
   I can work with strike ranks, both as a means of deciding who rolls to
hit first and as a means of regulating the sequence of other events in
a strike rank.  However, for my children, that would be too hard.  They
aren't playing RuneQuest III yet, but I can't help thinking about it.
   I know they'd be fine with strike ranks as a means of deciding who
rolls to hit first.  I'd like to keep melee strike ranks for that
purpose.
   Various possibilities for regulating action in a melee round come to
mind.  For example, divide RQ3's 12-second melee round into thirds, and
explicitly calling them 1st third, 2nd third & final 3rd.  This would
allow up to three melee attacks per melee round.  But how does it
impact spell casting?  I could say that a spell requires 3 SR's per
magic point, so that a 3-magic-point spell goes off on SR 9 of the 1st
third, but a 4-magic-point spell goes off on SR 2 of the 2nd third.
   Hmm.  Maybe reinventing the wheel is not the wisest approach.

   I would like to know how other versions of RuneQuest -- or house rules
-- deal with regulating the actions in a melee round.  If anyone would
care to share, I'd much appreciate it.
   Sincerely,
Asher