[Runequest] Contemplating House Rule -- Advice?

Bjørn Are Stølen stolenbjorn at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 15:57:27 EST 2011

I agree that there's a huge element of unpredictability in injury. IMO that's why we roll damage, and not just have fixed damage. I once wondered how a Katana could only do 2 damage, but that was unitl I started test-cutting with sharp swords myself. One minor mistake, and that water-filled bottle was merely wacked as if it got hit by a 900 gram iron rod (quite painful in itself, I guess, but not as bad as beeing cut through).

In my houserules, I let myself be inspired by a table from Warhammer, where you roll on a table whenever you drop beneath zero HP. I made up such tables for each hit location, and was injury-specific (I had a blunt damage-table, a cutting damage-table and a piercing damage-table). The problem with the system was that it was difficult for GM and players to keep track of which joints had been imobilized by that club, which muscle had a severe bleeding stab-wound, etc