[Runequest] Contemplating House Rule -- Advice?

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Fri May 20 08:17:50 EST 2011

Hmmm. That said, though, I think a resistance roll is a little more
realistic and dramatic, in that a deadline is a little too concrete,
too predictable. If you know Biff's bleeding out at 1 hp per round and
he has 5 left, you can make decisions based on that. I think it
preferable that it be a genuine gamble. "Hold on, Biff! Hold on!" You
really don't know at what moment it'll be too late to help him.

For something as serious as a PC death, in fact, I think it's probably
best to have it be something handled behind the GM screen. Even the
player shouldn't necessarily know the moment, but should be fed some
subjective "moving down the tunnel toward the light..." embellishment.