[Runequest] Thieves want Garrottes

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 01:29:03 EST 2011

I'd guess there are Garrote rules for RQ in some Thanatar thing, somewhere.
In regards to the nasty version (wire, not just cord) I'd rule it has to be
a called-shot attack, from the rear, against an unsuspecting or helpless
target.  (How you rule that is critical to how "super" the garrote is.)
Only armor that counts is head armor, although on a luck roll of some sort,
I might allow the target to get 1- or 2- hands underneath the garrote, in
which case, the hand-armor and hand-hp also resist.
Damage is 1d4+STR.
If feeling benign, I'd probably say that the damage goes cumulatively each
subsequent round, and when the total reaches negative Head HP*2, the head
comes off.
If feeling malign, one could say that the damage (minus armor) is applied on
the resist table to decapitate.