[Runequest] Horse Combat

Simon Phipp soltakss at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 02:26:58 EST 2011

Lev Lafayette:

> Our group ran charge a little differently; rather than basing it on the
> horse's damage bonus, we used the relative acceleration of the attacker,
> based on (Move/3)d4. So a human that charged (Move 3) would do a 1d4
> attack bonus, whereas a horse would do 3d4. This assumes a character
> must also build up sufficient momentum. This requires a mimimum of their
> DEX SR plus 1 in movement. So 3d4+1d10+1.. (average 14 points)

So, that uses Combat Movement. Would Charging double that? I seem to remember something in RQ3 about moving up to double your normal move for a charge or when fleeing.

It also makes Mobility a combat spell, with Mobility 3 adding 1D4 to the damage, which makes sense to me.

> "OK, so what?", you rightly ask, given that this is actually less than
> the damage bonus given in the rules as writ (3d6). Well, the other
> aspect is that the horse as well as the rider attacks - and that gets
> the horses charge bonus plus it's normal bonus, just for running the
> person down, and all it takes is a Riding roll on the part of the
> attacker (and a trained horse that doesn't baulk at someone being in the
> way). Now that's an a second attack at 3d6+3d4... (average 18 points)

That's an idea that I like.

> Ah, but it now gets worse. As others have pointed out there's knockback
> effects; and that requires a DEX*5 roll to remain standing, and there's
> two attacks there that will probably cause knockback.. And you know what
> a failed roll means?
>
> Yep, the trample.

I'd say that another Riding roll would be required, to direct the horse to the knocked-over person.

> So the lance, assuming no impales, might actually be the least of the
> character's worries when a 1000 kg warhorse is bearing down on them...

Sounds good to me. One to use for the Rhino Riders in my Praxian campaign.

See Ya

Simon

Message: 2