[Runequest] [OT] FIAT, was Horse Combat

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Fri May 6 00:02:39 EST 2011

As an articling law student, one of the tasks I'd often be assigned was
to go to court and ask a judge grant a "fiat", instructing the clerks
to allow some document or other to be filed notwithstanding a technical
irregularity of some sort. It introduces a bit of flexibility into the
regulations; the clerks at Land Titles aren't permitted to file
documents unless everything is in order, but sometimes circumstances
are such that you can't get the dower affidavit signed because the
spouse was last known to be in prison in Nigeria or something.

Also, "fiat lux!" is Latin for "Let there be light!"  At work, nobody
got my joke when I said, "Fiat lunch!"