[Runequest] Horse Combat

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Tue May 3 02:51:39 EST 2011

I thought that proper cavalry horses, the heavy ones used for serious
lance charges, would normally have a damage bonus of 3d6 or more,
anyway. Not that this is a huge difference from 2d6, but it is
something.

I do sort of like the idea of including speed as a component to damage
bonuses, and I remember working out a fairly complete treatment of
velocity/energy for all sorts of collisions, although I hadn't
specifically been thinking of cavalry charges. But now that I think of
it, I think a big part of what makes a cavalry charge so terrifying has
less to do with the lances than with the sheer mass of horseflesh
bearing down on you. Whether or not the lance hits, you're gonna get
smashed and trampled, unless there are lots of rows of solid pikes
between you and the horses. Head for the trees!