[Runequest] Horse Combat

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 02:55:14 EST 2011

A few comments: first, let's be honest, a lance isn't any more inherently
damaging than a pike or (light lance) a long spear.  The employment of the
weapon is what makes it ferocious.

- I give people moving into combat a +damage  equal to their current
straightline moverate, to a max of the damage of the weapon.  I.e. a 1d3
knife (up to 3 points) can't benefit as much as a d8 sword (up to 8).  Of
course, if you get this bonus, you have the 'charging' restriction, ie only
1 combat action.  This makes being charged by anything particularly nasty.
Two charging opponents (as long as their vectors are opposite) both add both
their bonuses.  (charging at someone at right angles, you get yours and none
of his, etc. it's rough and quick-calculated)
- the other benefit is tactical - i give long spears and pikes 2- and 3-hex
'reach' (we use a battlemat).  This means, at best, non-pike-armed foot are
going to have to take the impact and effect of the charge, before getting to
reply.  That's HUGE.  (Further, only a moron would charge an unarmored horse
into ready foot; the aside from having to 'take' the first blow, that
footman is not going to have an easy go against an angry, barded warhorse)
- the other consequence of reach is the enpassant attack: your initiative,
you move (3) to your spot.  From at least 6 hexes away (you can't touch me),
I go 'gallop gallop' past you, but always staying at least one hex away, and
poking you as I pass.  As I hit you, I veer away, ending up 5+ hexes away -
even if you get initiative, you cannot reach me to close with me, I just
ride back out of reach and line up the next pass.   Short of longspears of
your own or pikes, you can't harm me if I'm careful.

Personally, I think that's plenty without editing the damage of the Lance?