[Runequest] Horse Combat

David Smart jurrubin at gmail.com
Tue May 3 02:46:22 EST 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Brian Houle <houle.brian at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2d60 is pretty scary. ;)

LOL. Noooo kidding!

> In addition to increasing damage, you might treat charging like a variant
> Fear or Demoralize spell modified by the experience of the foot soldier
> solider (taking a page from Aces & Eights, which provided combat bonuses
> depending on how many gunfights you've been in before the current one) and
> the Orate skill of the commander.

This I like.

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Trevor Ellis <trevor.ellis at pobox.com>wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Some of our thoughts are
>>
>> a)      Add greater damage bonus to account for the weigh of horse flesh
>> coming at you at speed (say 2D6+6).
>>
>> b)      Against a changing horse either dodge and no attack, or parry and
>> attack.
>>
>> c)       Allow the animal to have a knockback in addition to the weapon
>> damage – thus even with a 90% parry one is likely to be knocked back and
>> unable to attack that round.
>>

>> Any thoughts?

A much increased chance for a knockback on a successful lance attack is
definitely called for since fully armored knights were often dismounted
during tourneys (kinda the whole point). And I thought the damage from both
the speed of the horse and its Strength was added to the lance attack
damage. Or maybe it's just been a house rule all these years. I do allow a
dodge _and_ an attack but only if the target makes a successful Martial Arts
roll along with the Dodge roll. Otherwise, the target had darn well better
Dodge or the horse gets an automatic Trample damage roll if the rider makes
a Ride roll.