[Runequest] Horse Combat

Trevor Ellis trevor.ellis at pobox.com
Tue May 3 00:35:57 EST 2011

In our group we would like for a charging horseman to be really frightening
- but under RQ2/RQ3 rules it really is not.

Just adding the horse's damage bonus (say 2d60 is not really enough).

lance 1D10 + 2d6 damage bonus gives an average 12.5 points and maximum (excl
specials) of 22 points.  If the guy on the ground has a medium shield + 5
pts Armour + 3pts protection then 12.5 pts damage has no effect and 22
points is just a flesh wound.  He can then hit back at the almost totally
unprotected house with a very good chance of bringing it down.

Even a lightly armoured bowman with a high Dex, has little to fear - his
multiple shots will probably bring the horse down long before its gets to
him and, with a good dodge, can get out of the way at the last moment.

Some of our thoughts are

a)      Add greater damage bonus to account for the weigh of horse flesh
coming at you at speed (say 2D6+6).

b)      Against a changing horse either dodge and no attack, or parry and
attack.

c)       Allow the animal to have a knockback in addition to the weapon
damage - thus even with a 90% parry one is likely to be knocked back and
unable to attack that round.

Any thoughts?