[Runequest] BEASTMASTER

Simon Phipp soltakss at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 04:23:15 EST 2011

Harry Woolley:

> high guys one of my PC,s said in the next game comes up can he be a beastmaster,ive looked into this,mgrq,
> and carnt seem to put one together becuese of what a beastmaster does,im going off the TVone and earth
> dawn book,so as normal get your thinking caps on and come to the rescue.

I don't know about the TV one and haven't read Earthsawn, but there was a Beastmaster film back in the 80s, I think.

Rather than looking at what's already in the rules, look at what a Beastmaster should be able to do.

1. The name implies a connection with beasts, particularly a mastery of beasts
2. In the film, the hero could communicate and command beasts and had a familiar
3. Similar heroes have been able to see through the eyes of beasts

So, I would suggest that you could do this with a combination of Legendary Abilities and spells.

Legendary Ability (Speak with Beasts) would allow the use to speak to any nearby beast.

Legendary Ability (Beast Master) would allow the user to take control of any single nearby beast, on a successful opposed Persistence vs Resilience roll. This would require concentration and all other tasks would be Difficult when using this ability.

Legendary Ability (See Through Beast's Eyes) would allow the user to see through the eyes of a beast, on a successful opposed Persistence vs Resilience roll. This would require concentration and all other tasks would be Difficult when using this ability.

Enchantment (Familiar) would allow the user to make a particular beast his/her familiar. This gives some communication between the master and the familiar and allows the use of the Beast Master and See Through Beast's Eyes Legendary Abilities to be used on the familiar without an opposed roll.

As for spells, any of the beast spells could be used. I'm not that familiar with MRQ magic, so I couldn't recommend any particular spells, but the RQ Spellbook has a whole bunch of spells that might be useful.

Hope that helps.

See Ya

Simon