[Runequest] Latest on RQ rights

Vile viletraveller at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 11:41:27 EST 2011

Thanks for that fascinating anecdote, Sven! I and most of my contemporaries
had always assumed that the limited appearance of Runes in the game was all
there was to it - the "Rune-Quest" being nothing more than the striving to
attain Rune Lord or Rune Priest status. Of course, looking back on it now
with the benefit of your back story and a more realistic knowledge of the
technical writing process, it makes perfect sense that the Runes as
published were only a vestigial remnant of the original manuscript.

I believe the reason Greg has the rights to the name rather than Chaosium is
because he was quicker on the draw when it became available again - if I
remember correctly, it was sitting idle for a little while and anyone could
have picked up the TM. I wonder why Greg doesn't use the name for HeroQuest?
I suppose it wouldn't add much value, while leasing out the TM could bring
in a bit of cash for no real effort. I think it was a mistake for Mongoose
RuneQuest to be tied to Glorantha, especially 2nd Age Glorantha, though. I
just don't think it (or, more importantly, the public perception of "it")
stands up that well as a modern game setting.

--
Vile