[Runequest] Latest on RQ rights

Vile viletraveller at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:41:34 EST 2011

The system itself can't be copyrighted, as MRQ2 shows - it's different, but
not *that* different. A new iteration of the rules would no doubt introduce
further tweaks and (hopefully) improvements, so it would easily be different
enough. Alternatively, the MRQ1 SRD could be used to write an OGL version of
the rules.

In other words, it would be easy to write a "RuneQuest" system with the
serial numbers filed off, but doing so would require that someone thought it
would be financially attractive. If it were (and I have my doubts), the
extra licence fees for the RuneQuest name would probably be a small portion
f the costs, and should pay for themselves in terms of name recognition.

If, as seems to be the case from Mongoose's statements (which maybe not the
whole story), the RQ licence comes with Glorantha attached then it may be
less marketable

--
Vile