[Runequest] More RQ III (AH) Sorcery Questions

grogthing grogthing at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 23:20:08 EST 2011

Since I never used RQ to play in Glorantha, I never used the 3 magic systems which I felt were tied to closely in spirit with the Glorantha setting.

I replaced RQ magic with Elric! sorcery rules, which I felt were simpler and brought more of the flavor I wanted in my own setting.

It has been a couple years since I looked at the rules but let me see if I can hit the main points.

You must have a POW over 15 .. to be able to cast sorcery spells.

You choose spells from you Grimoire to actively memorize and ready.

It only takes a minute or so to memorize a spell .. and previously memorized spells can be dropped from memory at will.

Spells are surefire. There is no spell roll to cast. If you know the spell. have it actively memorized and have the magic points to power it, it goes off when you will it to.

The effects may not be certain. The spell may still have to overcome a targets resistance.

But casting is skill based.

You can hold a number of actively memorized spells equal to half your INT ... or equal to your full INT if Melnibonian in Elric! .. or in my world Elves.

You "occult skill" is used to research and learn spells.

Spell aquisition is difficult and time consuming, making finding new spells a constant quest for magic users .. you can find find another casters Grimoire .. then you must spend days .. weeks... even months .. trying to make his "spell" .. make sense to your mind .. you must make several rolls with your occult skill to make progress ... until you finally "get it" .. and then it makes sense to you ... and you can add the spell to your Grimoire.

Or you can create/research a spell and makeing rolls for research progress .. the size of the magical lab/library you have to aid you modifies the rolls difficulty.

Elric! also included rules for demons, but I never used them.

There were spells for creating "baziers of power" ... magic items used to store a power point pool for you .. and sorcerors could do co-operative magic to accomplish bigger effects.

Overall .. I thought it a very streamlined and simple system.

And when I was on the Basic Roleplaying playtest .. I lobbied very hard for it's inclusion as an optional magic system and I'm very happy it made it.

Gregory

 the RQ III sorcery