[Runequest] RQIII Sorcery

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 05:15:08 EST 2011

Okay, a few corrections and updates.

If the INTx5 relearning roll is greater than INTx5, the spell isn't
relearned and the sorcerer must try again. They still lose all accumulated
spell skill if they fumbled that roll, and must try again as well. On the
plus side, they have nothing more to fear when trying to relearn that spell,
since they have nothing more to lose.

I'm thinking that the relearning period should be one full day of reading.
But the INTx5 roll is required, with -1 to effective INT for each full
season which has passed since the spell was forgotten. This means that after
18-20 seasons, most mages would have effectively forgotten the spell
permanently, and would have to learn it from their book as if it were a new
spell. This would also provide an incentive for sorcerers to study and
re-learn their "off" spells every year or two.

Due to the very high likelihood of substantial skill loss, I think that this
mechanism doesn't discourage spell matrix creation. Hmm...perhaps there
should be some sort of rule for relearning a spell directly from a matrix,
i.e. copying the knowledge from a previously-known spell matrix back into
your head. This could negate the elapsed-time penalty, possibly. And what
about trying to transcribe the knowledge of a previously-unknown sorcery
spell from a matrix into a book? That's an interesting possibility! It
should be harder than relearning a spell that you already knew from a
matrix, of course, with a substantial chance of screwing up.

Obviously any spell which is relearned cannot start below base percentage,
no matter how bad the roll.

->Peter

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com