[Runequest] strike ranks alternatives and size

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:57:14 EST 2011

I use (essentially) 3 factors to determine who goes first.

1) is this the "first contact" or "ongoing melee"?
2) personal/weapon/action stats
3) variable random factor (no that's not redundant)

To explain, each player has 3 'initiative-function' stats.
Reach - based on their siz
Quickness - based on their dex/int, inverse of siz
Reaction - based on their dex/int

Each weapon has a Reach and Quickness rating, usually the two combine to
total 5 (ie reach of 4 typically means a quickness of 1).  So each
character when armed has a reach value (personal + weapon) and quickness
value (personal + weapon).  Characters acting without a weapon* (ie casting
spells, firing missiles, or performing a noncombat action) have a flat +3
to either.
* fists are 0/6.  kicks are 1/3

On the first contact, reach is always used.  Subsequent rounds are always
quickness UNLESS the person with the long weapon is 'fending'.  Without
getting too far into it, fending basically means moving backwards, keeping
the combat based on reach for the next round.

Finally, a d6, d8, d10, or d12 is added.  A low d is used where weapon size
and dex are relatively dominant, normally very movement-constricted spaces
like a tight tunnel.  In a totally wide-open space where movement is
unconstrained, then the d12.  Typically it's a d8 or d10.

Characters can move 1 hex per SR after their initiative comes up, 2 if they
declared running or charging and succeed at a "run" skill check, 3 if they
declared sprinting, succeed at a run roll, and are only moving straight
ahead.  Moving characters can perform their 2 actions, running only get
one, sprinting get no other action while moving.

All of this of course is commonsense-tested....meaning someone being
ambushed in a dark alley completely by surprise isn't going to start with
the 'reach' value.

(Reaction value is used if people want to change their action mid-round,
they declare the change and the SR 'cost' of their action-change is d6+
their react value.)

Some things I generally am dissatisfied with:
- too much possible variability in movement rates over a round between
actors, if the initiative die is a many-sided one (ie a roll of 1 vs 10)
- 'reaction' is an inverse value, meaning higher is worse, just
counter-intuitive.

It sounds quite complicated when I explain like this, but most of the
calculation-stuff takes place on the character sheet and it works quite
fast in application.  My players seem to feel it's authentic 'enough'
anyway.