[Runequest] Fire starting questions

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 08:01:22 EST 2011

When I do Viking Age re-enacting I use a type of shelf fungus that grows
off the side of trees. We have a type up here in the Pacific Northwest
Rain-Forest that is pretty darn close to the kinds in Scandinavia. It
actually works better than char-cloth. Also the usual punk we supply is
made from linen & you can make char-cloth from linen though cotton works
better. Also Usnea, a lichen which grows world wide, works very well as
a fire-starter when dried as well as its more commonly known medicinal
properties. In discussions about what made up the "healing pack" during
the original RQ development Usnea was included as a part by anyone with
even a modicum of wilderness/survival/herbal knowledge. Even a city boy
like Steve knew about it.

Sköl,
Sven