[Runequest] Fire starting questions

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 07:00:23 EST 2011

I do Mountain man ere re-enacting (1800-1840) in the whole
buckskins,blackpowder thing. At most Mountain-Man Rondezvous there's a
fire-starting competition using Flint& Steel, charcloth, & a little punk
(ignitable material, not a disreputable youngster). My home club handles
it in  a very typical manner We provide the punk so there's no soaked or
cheater style material, the contestant brings their own flint,
steel-striker & bit of charcloth or shelf fungus. After you finish
shooting for score on the rifle trail & spear target, you come back to
the Shooters shed where you're checked for authenticity of garb & can
get one last point for fire-starting. Using Flint & steel the contestant
has 90 seconds to get the punk aflame from the time of you first strike.
Most people get a score under 40 seconds. Really goods ones I've seen in
about 3 to 10 seconds. My usual score is in the teens nowadays.

Sköl,
Sven