[Runequest] MRQ II - Combat

Bruce Mason mason.bruce at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 22:55:30 EST 2011

I think what this shows is that you are slow and not too bright then you
really ought not to be on a battlefield. If you're constantly being  beaten
down in training by people who don't seem to be as skilful as you, then work
on your fitness because that's your weakness. It's saying that if you don't
have a certain minimum level of physical ability then you are at a
disadvantage and it takes a lot of skill to overcome that.

Another way to look at it is this:
If your skill is 60% then 3 of out of every 5 CAs are effective. If your
skill is 80% then 4 out of every 5 CAs are effective. In a situation where
you have 4 CAs per round and your skill is 60% then you can expect 2 or 3 of
them to work each round. If your skill is 80% and you have 3 CAs then 2 or 3
of them will be effective. On average the difference is not as extreme as
you might think.

Look also at 120% vs 100%. Due to the over 100% rule that equates to 80 vs
100.
80% and 4 CAs is 3 or 4 successes. 100% with 3 CAs is close to guaranteed 3
CAs. In this case the skill effect is probably greater.

I'm not personally a fan of variable CAs but I don't think there's anything
wrong with the "math" or that somewhere out there there is "better math".