[Runequest] MRQ II - Combat

Pete Nash the.iqari at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 05:06:12 EST 2011

> I’m a little worried about the combat system.  Am I right in thinking the
> having a good INT and DEX is vital because that way you get 3 combat actions
> whilst most people will have only two.   This means that normally you will
> attack twice and parry once whilst your opponent will attack once and parry
> once.  Therefore you will have a free (unopposed) attack EVERY round?

Let me put is this way. Would you play a dedicated sorcerer with a INT of 12
or a priest with a POW of 12? Would you make a PC with a poor CON or tiny
SIZ a frontline fighter? Unless you like a good RP challenge, most players
wouldn't. Since Damage Bonus, Hit Points and Magic Points are all based on
characteristics, then why shouldn't Combat Actions, otherwise there's a
double standard being applied.

Also bear in mind that to get 3 CA you only need to be just a little above
human average. It shouldn't be a hardship during character generation.