[Runequest] MRQ II - Combat

Lawrence Whitaker lawrence.whitaker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 04:34:39 EST 2011

Having more CA than your opponent is a definite advantage, but in reality
speed is probably more important than the number of CA.

Note the Combat Manoeuvres. Many of them strip you of CA or limit your CA
options. So, a faster fighter with 2 CA against a slower, 3 CA fighter has
the immediate advantage of perhaps being able to generate a manoeuvre that
severely limits his opponent's capabilties.

I'd also recommend playing the combat system first before reaching a
judgement from just reading the rules. You'll find there's a great of
tactical nuance, so simply having more CA than an opponent might seem like a
good thing on paper, but it can work out quite differently in play.
Consider, for example, how that 3 CA fighter will fare against two opponents
with 2 CA each. Being outnumbered in MRQII is Not A Good Thing.

On 19 August 2011 14:21, Trevor Ellis <trevor.ellis at pobox.com> wrote:

> Just got my copy of Mongoose Runequest II (yes I'm a little behind the
> times), but I’m trying to put together some house-rules and thought I’d take
> a look [Note prices have been slashed on the web site].****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m a little worried about the combat system.  Am I right in thinking the
> having a good INT and DEX is vital because that way you get 3 combat actions
> whilst most people will have only two.   This means that normally you will
> attack twice and parry once whilst your opponent will attack once and parry
> once.  Therefore you will have a free (unopposed) attack EVERY round?****
>
> ** **
>
> Under these circumstances nothing else would matter much – the fast person
> will win most fights (even with a 20% less skill) – the slower yet skilful
> will die out – only fast people with little skill will survive and breed
>
> ** **
>
> Trevor ****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **