[Runequest] Hi

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 23:38:33 EST 2011

Which is exactly why I didn't volunteer.  Testing != playing...they only
LOOK the same.

I did (serious) beta work throughout the 90s for computer wargames, and beta
testing/playtesting (if done correctly) involves
a) trying to break the systems - most game systems work fine in nominal
conditions, but as you push to the boundaries their algorithms start to
break down.  Rules-lawyers are good testers, because they tend to discard
the 'sense' of the rules and try to exploit the language, which helps you
find holes, begged assumptions in the text, etc.
b) Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition.  Fluke results wreck
reporting.  I just rolled a d8 4 times, and got an average of 7.  Is this
representative of the results this die will give me regularly?  Think how
much more complicated a game's combat system is, and then understand that
this is merely a subsystem of a greater whole.  There's no way you're going
to see (for example) that magic-users can't compete reasonably vs.
"fighter-types" except with many, many combats in a range of conditions.
c) thorough note-taking at all times.  If you cannot accurately report the
test conditions, the results are almost valueless.

It's far too much like work. :)

So no, while I have a regular group of teens that play (1-2/month), and as
much as I'd love to have a hand in it, they are neither aggressively
rule-questioning, nor am I interested in dissecting our gaming sessions and
turning them into my job. :)

So good luck!  The point of this post is to those on the list who may have
volunteered to playtest without really understanding what that really means.