Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 10:27:35 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:06 AM, Bruce Mason <mason.bruce at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 November 2010 12:42, Styopa <styopa1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I use the half rule; flat modifiers mean (essentially) that unless you're
>> middling good with a weapon, you shouldn't even bother aiming.  I find that
>> both needlessly penalizing and excessively restricting choice to the newer
>> characters.   Now I DO add an "it takes you an extra d6+3 SR" modifier,
>> ruling that if it runs past the end of the round, you never found the 'gap'
>> you were looking for.
>>
>> In general any modifier that makes it hard to do means that you probably
> shouldn't bother doing it. i.e. hefty negatives are *deterrents* to
> undertaking the activity. Personally if a player said to me "my character
> wants to try to hit the troll in the head" I don't want to say "Ok, you can
> give it a try but your character's skill is halved and you have to wait an
> extra d6+3 SRs." The player's response it going to be "Ok I'll just hit it
> normally with my axe then."
>
> Either that or this happens...
> {snip}

Or, you just have players that know the rules and so when you ask for
initiative rolls, they add in their mods and tell you the result.  When they
swing, they say "ok I'm at 84% to hit, so 42 for a called shot and +10 for
height advantage" they roll and it's done.

Generally, I don't use modifiers to penalize or punish, and it's certainly
irrelevant whether I want to "encourage" it or not.  It seems realistic to
me that it's harder to hit someone's head, and that waiting specifically to
swing at the head might involve some opportunity cost, so thus the rule.

Actually I liked the earlier comment about comparing the two skills and the
level of success gives the victor more options for doing special stuff.
 Sounds a lot like Harn combat, which I liked a LOT.