Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Fri Nov 19 03:49:11 EST 2010

Oh! Yes, that just reminded me of the other approach we used, just
before my last gaming group went on the hiatus of doom.

I've just dug out the house rules file with that procedure here, and
will paste it here:

Aimed Blows in Melee

If a character has an attack% of 50% or more, allow the character to
roll the hit location that would be affected by that attack during the
Statement of Intent phase, so that the character may decide whether to
attempt to exploit that opportunity, or to try a different attack in
the hopes of hitting a different location. A character may roll one
opening for every available attack over 50%. If an attack skill is over
100%, the player character may roll two openings.

	Rationale: Aimed blows in melee are not so much a matter of shooting
at a target as they are a matter of waiting for and exploiting a
suitable opening, and passing up openings on other locations. This
approach models that, and also creates incentive to vary one’s attack
choices.

PC: Okay, so I'm facing the angry mercenary, right? Let's see, I have a
sword attack of 78%. I rolled a 16, so his left arm. Which has a shield
strapped to it, right?

GM: Yep.

PC: Hmmm. So it's gotta have somewhere upward of a dozen armour points
if I hit it. Bah. I have a Fist attack of 62%, can I check that?

GM: Sure. Technically it's probably a sword attack, if you're bashing
with the pommel of your sword, but I'll allow it using fist skill and
fist damage.

PC: Great! Okay, I rolled... 12. I can punch him in the chest. Nah,
don't think I like that, not with his armour and only fist damage.

GM: Not necessarily such a bad thing. He's wearing bezainted, which is
normally 4 points, and with your damage bonus you could do up to 7 on a
normal hit. Plus on a special you'd get knockback.

PC: Yeah, that's true. Well, I've got to shield parry that sword slash
at my exposed abdomen, for sure, but for my attack, do I want to punch
his chest or take my chances kicking for a random location? I don't
have any other available attacks at over 50%. Hmm. All right, I'm
tempted to try a kick and  hope for a good location. Yeah. Shield parry
the sword slash, and kick randomly, that's what I'll do. And maybe
improve that kick skill, too, even.