Wayne Shaw shaw at caprica.com
Fri Nov 19 03:33:31 EST 2010

At 06:16 AM 11/18/2010, you wrote:
>On 18 November 2010 10:08, Hola Hallo
><<mailto:easysamurai at gmail.com>easysamurai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>I also use this RQ3 rule, but instead of halving the skill, I apply
>a -50% modifier, which I think is fairer, IMHO.
>I'm still not convinced by the new MRQ2 rule, where you can hit your
>enemy's head just by rolling a successful hit and him/her an
>unsuccessful parry. And you?
>

>MRQ2 combat was designed to allow a great deal of tactical
>flexibility. By not penalising the players, it encourages dynamic
>fights. Ones which better reflect the techniques shown in historical
>fight manuals, which are themselves a more truthful representation
>of personal combat in earlier eras.
>
>As for allowing regular selection of 'Choose Location', well that is
>exactly what happens in a real armed combat between two competent
>fighters. Sometimes you are parried, sometimes you miss, very
>occasionally something unexpected happens... but if your opponent
>can't get their block or ward up in time then you will hit them in
>the face because it is precisely what you were aiming for.

Not sure I agree.  While there's not too much of "aiming for the head
and hitting the foot" I saw plenty of cases both when I was in
martial arts and in fencing where the available target that presented
itself was what you hit, and where you got somewhere near what you
were aiming for but not on it.