Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 23:42:14 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Bruce Mason <mason.bruce at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 November 2010 09:08, Hola Hallo <easysamurai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I also use this RQ3 rule, but instead of halving the skill, I apply a -50%
>> modifier, which I think is fairer, IMHO.
>> I'm still not convinced by the new MRQ2 rule, where you can hit your
>> enemy's head just by rolling a successful hit and him/her an unsuccessful
>> parry. And you?
>>
> IIRC RQ2's rule was to delay X SRs and be able to shift the location roll
> by +/- X. I always thought that was a neat rule. I presume it worked for
> ranged combat too though I wouldn't swear to it.
>
> I never liked the RQ3 rule. Even back in the day I had no tolerance for
> halving skills especially if other modifiers got added as well. However with
> only 10SRs and slightly higher SR values, you couldn't easily port over the
> RQ2 rule.

I use the half rule; flat modifiers mean (essentially) that unless you're
middling good with a weapon, you shouldn't even bother aiming.  I find that
both needlessly penalizing and excessively restricting choice to the newer
characters.   Now I DO add an "it takes you an extra d6+3 SR" modifier,
ruling that if it runs past the end of the round, you never found the 'gap'
you were looking for.