Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Thu Nov 18 03:17:42 EST 2010

Yes, but that's a species of the more general problem, where the GM is
ignorant of any particular area in which a player is expert. Military
tactics tend to come up more often in RPGs than other areas of
expertise, but all sorts of areas can lead to this kind of frustration.

For example, I have a law degree. I've been at quite a few LARP events
where some sort of trial or tribunal or other legal proceeding took
place. (They come up in tabletop RPGs too, fairly often). The game
organizers and fellow players often tend to rely on what bits and
pieces of courtroom procedure they (mis)remember from My Cousin Vinnie
or episodes of Law and Order. Most of the time I'm not playing a lawyer
at these events, but I have inwardly cringed at many of the things I've
seen done. (Of course, to be fair, I've also cringed at some of the
actual rulings made by real judges in real courts, so take that for
what it's worth.)

On the other hand, there's also a danger if the GM defers too readily
to the expertise of the players. That can drain all the challenge from
the game, if players can always just tell the GM that their plan will
work and that's that. I guess the lesson here is that it takes brains
to be a good GM. Not necessarily to be an expert in everything, but to
be able to understand the arguments of her players and not be bluffed
into acquiescence.