[Runequest] Highlevel combat

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Thu Nov 18 02:54:34 EST 2010

I don't make them make idea rolls to remember things as such. If they
ask me, as GM, something their character should know, I tell them. The
idea roll is primarily a mechanic I use to govern inter-player chatter,
when the PCs themselves are not talking in character.

There was always a tension between the need to have players play their
OWN characters without interference, and the occasional urge to stop a
fellow player from doing something stupid. I got kind of tired of
telling my players to shut up if they weren't talking in character, and
found that this mechanic was a nice compromise. You, player of Bortho,
want to tell player of Grothnar to remember to leave word with the
innkeeper where he's going? I as a GM might not want you to do that;
legitimate player mistakes are a great resource for the GM to add
challenge. I found that my players quite eagerly embraced the INT check
as a limit on interplayer hints; when they missed the roll, they were
very happy to let the other player continue without the hint, as the
PC's oversight was legitimized by the dice roll.