Andrew bgecko at bigpond.com
Wed Nov 17 22:20:03 EST 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:32:43 +0000
> From: Bj?rn Are St?len <stolenbjorn at hotmail.com>
> To: Rune Quest mailgruppe <runequest at rpgreview.net>
> Subject: Re: [Runequest] Highlevel combat
>

> The problem with theese kind of solution is in the opposite situation,
> when the GM has a lower IQ than the players. That's a bit silly put, what
> I'm trying to say, is that sometimes you have GM's that have a quite
> rudimentary knowledge of how things work (like riding, use of certain
> types of equipment, etc). It can be quite trying to be a player that
> happens to know quite a lot of some skill, and have the players do
> something utterly stupid and be rewarded by it, because the players have
> successfully rolled an idea test, and the GM have supplied the players
> with advise he believes to be smart. The best thing in theese situations
> have been for me (as player) to keep quiet, but I must admit that it makes
> me a bit weary of Idea-rolls.
>
> We played CoC-dark-ages once, with a gm that knows as much about horses as
> I do about Pebbel-sizes in the town of Bismarck in USA (which isn't much),
> It was not very fun to be given "advise", but I didn't want to tell him to
> shut up, because I didn't want to ruin the game for my fellow players, I
> didn't want to embarras the GM, and my character did succeed thanks to the
> utterly stupid things he did with and on that horse, on GM advise :D

Thats a pretty valid point. Generally I allow players to come up with their
own ideas, but if it doesn't fit with what I think their PC would know (ie:
A Praxian Barbarian having intimate knowledge of the Lunar Nobility) I just
disallow it.

If its something they may know (Ie: A Praxian Barbarain having knowledge o
Lunar Military Tactics) I'll allow an INT roll.