[Runequest] Highlevel combat

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Sun Nov 14 15:23:04 EST 2010

On 13-Nov-10, at 2:42 AM, Dale Long wrote:

(snip)

>  If we take purely simulationist roleplaying, we would also need to
> consider removing the smart input from players, the good results
> derived from role-playing and other similar factors. These elements
> also operate at the same "story telling" level as Hero points, but
> Hero points do it in a measured mechanical way, that can also be used
> to complement those elements.

Actually, I stumbled upon a trick for that (i.e. PCs coming up with
ideas beyond their IQ capacity) that worked really well in my gaming
group. Whenever you want to make an OOC suggestion to another player as
to what their PC should do, you ask them to make an INT check. If they
don't make it, you keep quiet; if they do, you can tell them your idea.

I found that my players bought into the concept quite eagerly, because
they like sharing ideas but they also like an IC rationale for why
their party member didn't think of it in time (i.e. that darned low
INT). And if the INT check is failed, they really enjoy watching the PC
struggle through without the suggestion.

And in the big picture, since all the players are entitled to make and
receive suggestions by the same rule, statistically it ends up making a
very nice simulationist result: smarter PCs act smarter (with a greater
chance at benefiting from the collective wisdom of the players) while
dumber characters generally have to make do with only the intellect of
their own player, and even if the player of a slow-witted PC is very
bright, all the other PCs have access (on a successful INT check, of
course) to that same bright player's insights, so the slow-witted PC is
still at a comparative disadvantage.

Also, the more obvious ideas get another kick at the can for each
player who individually comes up with it. If I think of a suggestion
for the PC, but he misses his INT check, I don't get to share that
suggestion and that's the end of it for me. But if someone ELSE comes
up with the same idea independently, she CAN invite another INT check.