[Runequest] High level RQ

Bruce Mason mason.bruce at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 03:35:46 EST 2010

In RQ2 the attacker used to subtract their attack over 100 from the
opponent's parry. i.e. 140 vs 130 became 140 vs 90 as I remember. (I don't
remember the defender being able to do the same though of course defense was
a factor).

I actually prefer the RQ2 system slightly broadened so I use skill over 100
(rounded down to the nearest 10) subtracted from opponent. E.g. 123 vs 90
would end up 123 vs 70. Conversely 135 vs 123 would end up as 115 vs 93. It
can still take a long time because you are still waiting for one of them to
fail or to roll a critical. RQII does have an extra wrinkle though which is
that parries gain Combat manoeuvres too so if a high level misses an attack
then you can potentially disarm, break weapon, trip the opponent and so on.
Surprising though it might seen, on a 115 vs 93 there's just under a 30%
chance of something significant happening.*

*something significant is critical vs non-critical or success vs
fail/fumble.