[Runequest] High level RQ

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Mon Nov 8 07:08:39 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 20:52 +0800, David Cake wrote:

> 	Unless you play RQ3 rules not RQ2.

Yes, point, I was referring to RQ3 rather than RQ2... The latter I do
admit I haven't played much at a very high level..

> 	I always thought sounds broke way to easily in RQ2, and
> apparently so did the the RQ3 writers - a parrying weapon takes 1 pt
> of damage if a blow gets through its APs in RQ3, so parrying weapons
> last a long time.

Just as an aside in Swordbearer, which is quite highly derived from RQ
(whether by intent or accident), weapon breakage checks also occur on
the damage done by the attacker! So a really big troll smacking a
character with a light mace will damage the character and the mace
because the light mace has a relatively low breakage value.

It's a fairly simply rule to slip into RQIII, imo. Obviously you'd
exclude magical enhancements and the effects of criticals, but you would
include rolled damage and damage bonuses from STR/SIZ.

What do you think?

All the best,

Lev