[Runequest] High level RQ

Andrew bgecko at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 7 13:51:38 EST 2010

All the comments on high level play are pretty relevant. When all the
antagonists in a combat are over 100% it can often become a stalemate of
attack/parry. The best way our gaming group has found to break the cycle is
to have the parties use multiple attack options: ie: fighters hacking away,
but also casting high level spells (pushed Multispell disruptions by
multiple players can be deadly if targetted at a single opponent), summoning
of spirits, elementals can also be an effective tactic if used in
combination. Even if a spirit is relatively weak, denying use of battlemagic
during Spirit combat can often make the difference.

Additionally, as PC's become more powerful, magic items and powers/abilities
start to creep into the game providing greater flexibility still. Can be a
tough balancing act as a DM, but generally pretty worthwhile.

As I've said bfore we use hybrid rules (AH RQ2 as a base, with parts from
the original Chaosium ruleset and all subsequent editions) and house rules
to address things such as breath weapons. The AH RQ had a good system for
Giants and large creature attacks as pointed out previously.

Andrew