[Runequest] Runequest II

Simon Phipp soltakss at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 07:15:05 EST 2010

Harry Woolley:
> can any body explain to me why there is a runequest 11 as ther is 3 and 4? do
>the new additions?
> not inprove on the ones before,should it not be called 5 as it is a inproved
>version,

RQ1 and RQ2 were brought out by Chaosium in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

RQ3 was brought out by Avalon Hill, but written by Chaosium, in 1985.

There was a proposed RQ4 in the 1990s that was never published.

Mongoose brought out a new version of RuneQuest (MRQ1) in 2005 (?) as Issaries
Inc had the rights to RuneQuest (I believe). That version was full of holes and
wasn't very good from a rules point of view.

Mongoose brought out a new version of RuneQuest (MRQ2), which they called
RuneQuest II (as the earlier versions clearly meant nothing to them). This was a
lot better, ruleswise, and is a vast improvement on MRQ1.

In my opinion, I would rank the versions as follows (best version at the top):
RQ3
MRQ2
RQ2
RQ4
MRQ1

However, other people will definitely disagree ...

See Ya

Simon