[Runequest] RuneQuest II

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Thu Nov 4 00:11:18 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 10:25 +0000, harry woolley wrote:
> hi there guys and the odd girl.
> can any body explain to me why there is a runequest 11 as ther is 3
> and 4  do the new additions  not inprove on the ones before,should it
> not be called 5 as it is a inproved version,
> i was only a infantry so could you core men explain,thanks.

Hi Harry,

If possible do you mind starting a new email rather than just replying
to digest posts. As it was your post sat in the moderator's bin for a
while because it exceeded the default message limit.

Anyway, the answer is basically it's a marketing ploy to introduce
RuneQuest to a new generation of gamers, but unfortunately has annoyed a
lot of older players. The excuse when asked is that what everyone knows
as RQII (i.e., the 1980 publication) was never published under that
name. So edition history be damned, they'll call it RQII.

It's annoying and doubly so because MRQII (which is a much more
appropriate name) is actually a good game. The fact they've called it
RQII has annoyed more people than it has encouraged.

FWIW I hold to the following...

RQ I, RQ II, RQ III, RQ:AiG, MRQ I, MRQ II

And that's understandable and accurate.

Heck I could include RQ:S (RuneQuest Slayers) as well, but that's a
completely different game...

Hope this helps,

Lev