[Runequest] [RQ III] - Is it possible to parry with a 1H spear?

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 03:43:44 EST 2010

Actually from the point of view of someone who has been fighting with
Medieval Weapons since 1958 - Yes I can imagine it & have done it. I can
tell you that the specific gift was added based on me & what I
demonstrated during the writing of the game. Steve Perrin had watched a
battle I had where I had lost my left arm during an SCA melee back in
the mid-70's and proceeded to hold off 7 guys with just a short
one-handed spear and still managed to take down 3 of them before my
companions came up & finished the rest. Admittedly this was a very
unusual case.

So it is as you can see a very valid skill. All that being said if you
so desire then you could rationally limit it to "90% to attack and parry
when armed with 1H spear & Hoplon (cult) shield". It depends on your
vision of the scenario. It would be far more common for the attack to be
with the spear & the parry with the shield & thus the player would lose
the ability if not armed specifically with the cult shield & spear. How
do you envision it?

Skol,
Sven