[Runequest] RQ3 strike rank questions

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Wed Jul 7 20:37:41 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 18:38 -0400, grimer wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi grimer,

> I have two questions about the AH (Deluxe) RQ3 rules that I would like
> to ask:
>
> 1. How long does it take a knocked-down (via knockback etc) character
> to stand back up? I have been using 3 SR but can't find the actual
> number anywhere.

I would count it as six; prone to kneeling, kneeling to standing. Rather
like sheathing a weapon and drawing another (p47 Players Book)

> 2. In the "Melee Activities" section of the Combat chapter of the RQ3
> Players Book, there is a strike rank calculation example: "Tostig is
> wounded on melee strike rank 4. His player immediately declares that
> Tostig is changing his Statement of Intent (costing 3 strike ranks)
> and will begin casting a Healing 4 spell. The spell will require 7
> strike ranks to cast (Tostig's DEX strike rank modifier plus 1 per
> magic point in the spell). The spell will take effect on strike rank 1
> of the next melee round."
>
> Is this calculation correct? It seems to me the spell would go off on
> SR 4 of the next round (starting at SR 4, +3 for changing Statement of
> Intent, +7 for the actual casting).

You are correct. The example is incorrect. And well spotted.

(Something that has always thrown me is that there are 10 strike ranks
per 12 second round. Our group has made it a 10 second round for
simplicity...)

All the best,

Lev