[Runequest] Throwing weapons

Bjørn Are Stølen stolenbjorn at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 20:57:02 EST 2010

The pilum is a special, heavy throwing spear (that actually is heavier than most longspears, hence I don't see any problem with throwing long-spears; I've done that myself on several occations, and the extra weight only adds penentration capabilities when it decends) -that isn't very practical for melee, and in addition, the germanic tribes had special spear-points on their jarvelins during the late roman-era/migration period "angorns", that made them quite impractcal to do melee-fightin with, as they had "fish-barbs", making them stuck in their target. But apart from theese two special-jarvelins (pilum/germanic angorn), I follow theese rules:

I cannot remember if the following are my houserules or some sort of standard rules, but I've allways ruled that jarvelins ARE shortspears in every practical consern, so I use the jarvelin-rules if a character/npc throws a short-spear, and short-spear-rules every time  a character use a jarvelin for melee fighting.