[Runequest] Basilisks, Gorgons, and Headhangers

Mark Ahnen ahnen at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:01:50 EST 2010

Why not simply 'drowning' and then mouth to mouth resucitation later?

Sorry to add a little realism.... :)

From: strobus at sympatico.ca
To: runequest at rpgreview.net
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:05:24 +0000
Subject: Re: [Runequest] Basilisks, Gorgons, and Headhangers

Nikk, Tony;

Thanks for your responses so far. I may well have to create a new creature, but I wanted to explore my options with these, first.

For plot reasons, I need a creature that can kill (destroy the body or otherwise somehow induce a death-like state) without destroying the soul. It needs to be something that can be recovered from, in a way. I'm not doing this because I'm afraid of killing the PCs, but rather because the PCs might specifically seek this creature out for the purposes of entering that inbetween state and being brought back later. As a GM, I'm not telling the players it will be easy or guaranteeing it will work - but I want to give them the option.

Here's the background:
One player has some magical marks on their skin, like tattoos. He has learned that these are associated with a god or god-like entity, and that this marks him as an 'avatar' of the God. One gets these marks by being in physical contact with another who has them when they die - so they can move from person to person. The only known way to get rid of the marks is to die.

I think the player will want to find a way of removing the mark without dying - and I should give him a fighting chance. I've thought of several ways this might work - anything from dabbling in necromancy, to finding the ancient artifact of the snake god which allows a human to shed his skin, to experimenting with spirit transference. One of the ways I thought of is to find and harness the abillities of a creature such as a Gorgon or Head Hanger. It should be something they realistically have a chance at (however small) - and probably there is no chance with a Basilisk.

It just occured to me that that soul-transference trick with the microrhizae in the film Avatar might work - but maybe that's too obvious a borrowing.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and any more that come my way. I'd like to hear more monster anecdotes, too, if anyone has them - at least so I can learn how a head-hanger is properly used!

Chris