[Runequest] Basilisks, Gorgons, and Headhangers

Tony Den postmaster at runequest.za.org
Wed Jan 13 16:45:26 EST 2010

strobus at sympatico.ca wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a powerful creature to throw at my players. For my
> purposes, it will be a unique campaign creature and quite powerful. I'm
> considering one of the three mentioned in the subject line, but I'm open
> to other suggestions.
<snip>

Of these I have only used the gorgon, to good effect, effectively taking a
munchkin character that was unbalancing the game out. Like you say, one
turns to stone. Don't have the rules in front of me, but methinks some
sort of dispel magic within a reasonable period would revert the character
back. As a house rule, you could perhaps give a time limit before the
spirit has to start down that dark road (sorry Penelope Love), perhaps due
to petrification they are on the road, but anable to proceed as their
spirit is also frozed for x period. You could also take some references
from Glen Cooks Black Company bookes, the last series Soldiers Live (I
think) which has a take on this kind of stuff.

One could also have the person aware of time passing, kind of imortalised
in stone (assuming statue doesn't get broken), character could be
resurected or maybe concience transferred to a new body (or golem like
recepticle) only to find all his friends and family gone, kingdomes fallen
etc.

Hmm, off the top of my head, another alternative may be some sort of
arthropod, maybe a giant spider thats venom paralizes but doesn't kill,
wrap character in silk parcel for later consumption - this could issue a
serious time limit.

What about a grampus, didn't it have some sort of immobilising ability?

Cheers
Tony