[Runequest] Basilisks, Gorgons, and Headhangers

strobus at sympatico.ca strobus at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 13 10:55:57 EST 2010

Hi all,

I'm looking for a powerful creature to throw at my players. For my purposes, it will be a unique campaign creature and quite powerful. I'm considering one of the three mentioned in the subject line, but I'm open to other suggestions.

The creature must be able to kill, but not kill. There must be a chance, however small, that someone killed by this creature can be brought back - but their body dies. Here's my thinking on the three:

The Basilisk kills outright by magical means. This could be tweaked in our campaign such that it's gaze turns to stone. I'm a bit worried about it because it's so deadly in other ways, too (poison) - it's got TPK written all over it. It might be too deadly. The description of it, though, would fit perfectly into our jungly milieu.

The Gorgon is similar to the Basilisk in some ways - a gaze that turns victims to stone, poisonous snake hair. Less deadly though, and probably more appropriate for my PC's abilities. I would change it's appearance to more closely resemble the basilisk. The benefit of being turned to stone is that the person might still be alive under all that rock.

The Headhanger is really unique, and that appeals. It'll strike horror for sure. In the case of this creature, a person's intelligence can be captured and stored. This might somehow be returned to a new body (or same body?)  later.

So - the questions:
1. Does anybody have any experience or interesting stories to relate concerning these creatures in play?
2. How does one recover from being turned to stone or to having one's head hung?
3. Got any other creatures to recommend that might do the trick?

Thanks!

Chris