[Runequest] Shield & armor questions

Sam McConnich rpgstarwizard at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 07:17:47 EST 2010

Hi all, just some ideas about the "viking" round
long ago I was arecreational recreator lol
my friends presented me witha targ, a leather covered beast of oak and pine, metal embossed viking type shield, that had a removed 6-8 inch spike in the front
the Viking round is able to be used as a weapon, in my experience more than any other shield, it can be moved quickly etc as compared to other shield types, and I see the SR2 as truthful to what I experienced. I am short guyat 5'4 , and my reach is not the best, so learning to use a shield was kinda of important.
also because of the embossing/studding along the edges, it caught blades well without allowing them to penetrate the body too deeply, and allowed them to be "caught/knocked" aside with ease, and with spike attached, well it was a beauty and a weapon that made people take a step back when encountering,  it snagged a couple bits of chain
the one experience that made me stop playing "sword and board" was a person, who with a little too many drinks and a bit of anger (something about his girlfriend say I was a cute halfling or something,lol)
he recently purchased a nice sword froma very good shop in south east USA and proceeded to hack at me, at first I thought he was having fun, but I realized he wasnt doing anything but venting
the studding along the edge ate his sword and when he pressed a hit I caught it with the spike that cracked the edge of his blade and after a few more hits his blade failed
dont get me wrong, this was a fantasy shield based on the viking round, but made with older techniques, it was oak in ront and edge the back was pine covered with think leather at the fore and edges, the studs were handmade, alternating iron , steel and brass, but made with old glues and held together nicely till my ex wife left in the basement without me realizing and it went to mold and rot

as for your idea of chain, I agree, also realize that you didnot only wear chain but an under piece as well,