[Runequest] Shield & armor questions

Wayne Shaw shaw at caprica.com
Sun Jan 10 05:58:38 EST 2010

>   Second question:  In RQ 3, chainmail offers 7 AP, while platemail
>offers 8 AP.  Only a 1-point difference.  A lot of money and
>encumberance to gain that 1 point of additional protection.
>    Do you agree with this?  If so, why?  If not, then what might you
>suggest for a house rule?

When fighting other human scale opponents, even a single point of
armor is actually quite important in RQ; I'd be very leery of
allowing the armor values to inflate past what they are.  As it is
the combination of good armor, Protection and/or Shield can make it
quite hard to hurt an advanced RQ3 character, even sometimes by his peers.