[Runequest] Medieval Tech Levels

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 13:36:38 EST 2010

Oddly enough, if you look at the Lord of the Rings movies through the
lens of an anthropologist, you come to a remarkable conclusion:
1) Workable Buttons, as opposed to toggles, are a fairly late invention.
Hobbits have buttons, everybody else uses low tech laces.
2) Tailored & fitted clothes are an 18th century invention. Since Cloth
is the most labor intensive product - loose or voluminous sleeves,
clothing, etc are a sign of the wealthy in lower tech cultures. After
the industrial revolution, tailored clothing, & lots of different sets
of clothing became a sign of the wealthy. Hobbits have Post-Industrial
Revolution styled tailored clothing, everyone else wears baggier
medieval styles.
Conclusion: Hobbits are the highest tech culture in the LOTR!!!

Skal,
Sven