[Runequest] Multispell (RQ 3)

Gary Sturgess gazza666 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:53:52 EST 2010

On 12 February 2010 10:57, Lev Lafayette <lev at rpgreview.net> wrote:

> Of course, resulting in extreme suspicion if not outright hatred from
> their local (non-sorcery) community. :)

You can't really use that as balance, though. In some campaigns, for
example, the local community might BE sorcery users.

>>  RQ3 sorcery sucks for PCs in multiple
>> ways. Mostly, by not being much fun - getting an interesting range of
>> spells and skills to a decent level is incredibly time consuming and
>> tedious in the basic rules.
>
> Yes, that is very true. Any half-competent sorcerer will be quite
> venerable.

Actually I found the opposite problem as well. With as little as 1% in
Duration, Intensity, and the spell in question, you can cast an
Intensity 6* Duration 12 spell. Sure, you'll fail a lot, but that
spell will last for months - you'll succeed eventually, even if you
don't have a source of MPs to burn (and most PCs quickly acquire such
a source).

Also, I don't really see the point in becoming a sorcerer. Here's what
I mean. If you become a Shaman, you give up 90% of your time: but you
get a fetch, and you can't get one any other way. If you become a
Priest, you give up 50% of your time and income, but you get reusable
divine magic, and you can't get that any other way.

An adept sorcerer has to give up 75% of his time and income, but all
he gets in return is a few percentiles that any self respecting player
character would easily surpass by spending a fraction of that time and
income on research or training. There aren't any rules that say you
can't (for example) learn the familiar creating spells if you're not
an adept - and indeed there couldn't be, since you have to learn them
as an apprentice to BECOME an adept. Why wouldn't you learn what you
want to learn, say "stuff this time and money nonsense", and bugger
off with the goods? Yes, you could say that the community will exile
you, or whatever, but why is sorcery only "balanced" with roleplaying
considerations when the other two big guys (shamans, priests) get
mechanical compensations?

I tried Sandy's stuff as well - I found it to be ridiculously broken,
with student sorcerers able to beat Rune Lords fairly easily, even
when I nerfed several things. If anyone has a set of sorcery rules
somewhere that don't make spirit magic and divine magic basically
irrelevant, then I'm definitely interested to take a look.
--
GAZZA