[Runequest] Multispell (RQ 3)

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Fri Feb 12 13:57:52 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 10:46 +0800, David Cake wrote:
> 	Sorcerers are no problem at all as long as they are NPCs, and
> as long as competent NPC sorcerers decide not to provide the PCs with
> their services (such as buffing them up with a bunch of enhancement
> spells that lst for years).

Of course, resulting in extreme suspicion if not outright hatred from
their local (non-sorcery) community. :)

>  RQ3 sorcery sucks for PCs in multiple
> ways. Mostly, by not being much fun - getting an interesting range of
> spells and skills to a decent level is incredibly time consuming and
> tedious in the basic rules.

Yes, that is very true. Any half-competent sorcerer will be quite
venerable.

> 	I think the issue is essentially that the old multispell was
> of very limited use, nearly but not quite pointless. If you combined
> two spells, the main effect of multispell was to delay the first
> spell so it went off at the same time as the first, which most of the
> time wasn't an advantage at all.

>From my reading it wasn't that restrictive. One could cast two or more
spells - so hitting a target simultaneously with a Venom, Tap etc and
all cast at the SR of the most powerful seems quite potent and fair.
Given that I use something much more akin to the MRQ or current BRP
rules for Strike Ranks this shouldn't be a huge problem.

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer!

Lev