[Runequest] Multispell (RQ 3)

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Fri Feb 12 11:25:52 EST 2010

Howdy people,

The rare occasions that sorcerers have appeared in my various RQ games
hasn't been a problem. They're very rare, sort of spooky and very
cloistered.

But I've just started running the Artelan scenario from Strangers in
Prax, which includes a duel between some pretty tough wizards and for
the first time I find myself scratching my head over the RQ3 errata for
the sorcery multispell skill. The errata seems to makes them
significantly - and unreasonably - stronger than the core rules.

The only reference (having searched through the archives of this list
and its predecessors) that there is a potential problem was a remark by
Paul Reilly in 1993 who wrote: "I think the RQ errata gave a good
Multispell.  Certainly the old one needed to be fixed desperately - look
at Phantom magics for an example."

I am failing to see the problem. Can someone point it out to me?

All the best,

Lev