[Runequest] Medieval Tech Levels

Mechashef mechashef at emailme.net.au
Thu Feb 11 07:32:05 EST 2010

If you haven't seen this, it may be of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology

I often find it amazing when some things were invented.  For example,the
functional button appears to have been a 13th Century german invention.

I have used that in a campaign which is set at about a similar tech level as
yours.  There is a very conservative cult that is very opposed to clothes
with buttons.  It makes it much easier for women to have tight fitting
provocative clothing with those ungodly buttons!

Of course, if your campaign is fantasy, not pure historical you can easily
mix and match.  Just because invention X was made in year Y in the real
world, doesn't mean that it would happen exactly the same way if history ran
again, or if fantasy factors come into play.  For all we know, somone may
have invented the button 200 years earlier, but died when his village was
sacked or when some plague devastated the region.

If you have fantasy races who seem to have an affinity with certain
occupations then progress in those areas may be ahead of where they were in
real life (the obvious dwarves and smithing is one example).