[Runequest] Acid and Dagger Damage

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 14:29:25 EST 2010

Heck, since the original tests that were done on cutting for Runequest
were done using me as the weapon handler - I can tell you they actually
understated the damage done. But then I would drive a 2 inch deep dent
in twelve gauge mild steel with a rattan broadsword and have been
accused of hitting like "The Wrath of God" after clocking one
rhino-hider. He didn't wake up for almost 5 minutes after I smacked him
with a single rattan sword hit & they had to cut the helm off of him.
They understated the damage done by even a small bloke like myself (at
that time I was about 5'10" & weighed 135-140 pounds. As to knife they
way understated the damage I've seen done & have done in real life. In
the service back in the early 70's I've seen a fast backhand cross-slash
take a man's head almost completely off clean & cut to the spine so deep
you could see the gouge marks out of the bone. Admittedly part of it is
technique and part of it is knowing how to properly sharpen your tools.
So those of you feel who the need to "diss" anyone regarding the RQ
rules and heavy damage (aka cleaver-quest) blame me then. I take full
responsibility and blame, because Steve understated from what I've seen,
& done back then.

So perhaps your suggestion "A" or suggestion "C" regarding martial arts
skill (I might suggest to include Runelord level as well as a secret of
the "tradition" gained by a quest or mentoring) could be argued. I don't
see myself in the service as particularly a "Martial artist", but I was
admittedly well trained.

mea maxima culpae,
Sven