[Runequest] Acid and Dagger Damage

Tom Cantine tcantine at incentre.net
Wed Dec 15 12:14:39 EST 2010

Seems to me that the thing about acid (or any other reactive chemical,
unless it works as a catalyst) is that the amount of damage it does is
related to just how much of it there is. That is, one mole of acid will
only react with one mole of other stuff, and then become neutralized
through the reaction.

So at a first glance, I think my approach to acid damage would be to
assign two numbers to any dose: total quantity, and rate of reaction.
The reaction rate would determine how quickly it would do damage, how
many points per round, in other words. The quantity would determine how
many points total it would do before it ran out.

Example: Adventurer steps through a puddle of acid. The whole puddle
contains 20 damage worth of acid, and it has a reaction rate of 1. The
adventurer keeps on walking, and I rule that about 2 damage worth
sticks to his boot. Since they're 2 AP leather boots, in two rounds
boot loses structural integrity, though he might not notice right away
if he's not running or climbing.

If the adventurer had simply stood in the puddle with both feet, then
in at the end of two rounds, he'd notice his boots leaking, (total
puddle potency remaining = 16) and then at the middle of the third
round his feet would start to hurt. Probably at this point he'd leap
out of the puddle, and I'd rule there'd probably be another 3 damage
worth of acid still coating each foot, soaked into the remnants of the
boots and such, leaving 10 in the puddle. So he could leave his boots
on and take another 1 HP to each foot for the next 3 rounds, or try to
take the boots off somehow, possibly damaging gloves or hands in the
process.